I have a body. It’s just a body, just like yours. It has many parts, with many functions. They are not sexual, unless I choose for them to be. You being able to see them does not make this choice. It does not indicate my sexual decisions of past, present, or future. You being able to see them means you can see that I have a body. It’s just a body, just like yours.
Pop Quiz for MEN ONLY:
Guys, if you wanted to borrow your buddy’s car, would you:
A) Joke about driving it, and if he laughs or doesn’t shoot it down, assume he is fine with you borrowing it (maybe even wants you to?).
B) Work your way into gauging his response about it. Stand near it, grab the keys sometimes. As long as he doesn’t say no, it’s fine. Just ease into it slowly!
C) Be really, really nice to him. Get him things. Do stuff for him. He’ll see that you’re a good guy and let you borrow his car. You deserve it!
D) If he likes your post about cars on Facebook, assume he’s thinking about letting you borrow his sometime.
E) Wait to talk to him about it until his state of mind is compromised- like if he’s drunk, and jump on the opportunity before he changes his mind (especially if it’s a really fast or expensive car- how often do opportunities like that come along?!). If he realizes he didn’t really mean it when he sobers up, that’s his fault for getting that drunk in the first place.
F) If you think he might, just straight up ask him. If he says no, you won’t waste your time and you can ask another friend who might borrow you their car.
Any option except “F” is ridiculous, right? Because you’re grown ass adults, and that car belongs to someone else, so it’d be weird to not respect that.
So, why is it that guys treat girls (and sex) like this? Every single one of these options on the list is something I’ve personally experienced. I hear so much about these behaviors from stories my girl friends tell that I had to bring it up: It’s common decency to be more respectful about a car than about a human female these days. Tell me something’s not seriously messed up there.
We’re the same, you and I, in so many ways
We connect on that level
I saw you, and knew that from the start.
So I was confused when you held back;
when you slowed down and in so inhibited me, too
The pain and fury of being stuck in this place was more than I could bear
I stared back at you in disbelief-
do I even know you at all?
When, in a moment, a stranger makes themselves known
This stranger, the one who held YOU back
Relief and awe washed over me
I hadn’t misjudged you after all
I had been blind to your plight,
and unknowingly, unwittingly,
agonizing over my own blindness.
I found reverence in our connection once more.
We share a moment of deliverance as we race off together into the horizon.
We are the same, you and I.
“Poem for the Prius in the Left Lane This Morning”
FORWARD: To my daughter, and the daughters of the world, and to people everywhere, who have forgotten this important message. We live in a world with Pinterest wedding boards and romantic comedies, How I Met Your Mother “wife quests” and songs like Meghan Trainor’s “Dear Future Husband”. I’m getting sick of the idea that we’re all waiting around for a partner to come along and make us feel significant. I’m sick of parents who think their daughters should be “treated like a princess” and tell them to accept nothing less from a suitor. (Ditto for sons). This gives them a selfish view of love, and an unrealistic ideal about what a relationship is. To me, this is very wrong. They will either feel inadequate because of their partner’s inability to give them perfect love, or they will feel that their partner is inadequate. Both are incorrect! I’m not going to teach you, baby girl, that you need love from someone else to feel special or to be worth something. You already ARE. So I’m going to teach you how to make others feel this way.
If you’re ready for love, it’s not because you’re ready for someone to come into your life to make you feel special. It’s because you have ceased to need such a person, and instead, you are ready to be such a person to someone else. Love is not what you get, it’s what you give. Because love, by its very definition, is not about you.
If you’re ready for love, you’re ready to accept a flawed person into your life. You’re ready to face a broken, insecure human being who might never feel adequate, and you’re ready to be there so you can always remind them that they are.
If you’re ready for love, you’re ready to be let down. You’re ready to accept the imperfect love of an imperfect human being, who cannot perfectly love you, even if they completely love you. And you’ll understand that difference, because you’ll imperfectly love them too… and you’ll always remember that, before you start pointing your finger.
If you’re ready for love, it’s because you realize that we grow up in a world which does nothing but judge a person. It’s because you realize that underneath those judgments is a beautiful soul waiting to be seen, and you are ready to see that beauty, embrace it, and nurture it- the way life has not. Because there are no flaws. And you know that.
If you’re ready for love, it’s when you are no longer looking for it, or waiting for it. It’s when you realize you’ve got it. When all you have left to do is give it. Then you’re ready for love.
Of all the detoxes and cleanses I’ve ever done, this one is by far my favorite. It has produced the best physical and emotional results, and really made a huge difference in my health.
Liver flushes have given me brighter eyes, clearer skin, better sleep, a positive (“euphoric”) mood, smaller waist, improved digestion, and a top-notch immune system, to name a few.
(If you find yourself skeptical about our bodies’ need to “detox” in the first place, check out my explanation here in my part one of the detox series.)
Why Cleanse My Liver?
A clean and well-functioning liver cannot be underrated. The liver is responsible for-
- blood detoxification and purification
- digestion of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates
- enzyme activation
- glutathione production (check the link for more info)
- building proteins
- processing nutrients from food
One of the most vital things that the liver does is produce bile. Bile is a very bitter, very alkaline fluid that helps break down foods in your small intestine. It also helps to restore the pH of your body. When your body is the proper pH of 7.35, it functions at its best. Research shows that you are unlikely to get ill as often, and some even suggest that this optimal pH naturally fights cancer. For most of human history, it was not as difficult as it is now to keep the body’s pH within a healthy range.
Aciditiy is a common by-product of most foods in the American diet (all processed food, even “light” and “natural” versions; fried food; meat; dairy; coffee; sodas; sugary juices, desserts and candy; cigarettes; medications). This acidity completely throws off the pH of the human body, which makes your body age much faster and prone to all kinds of diseases.
Let’s break that down into a tidbit that might interest you: proper bile flow helps slow down the aging process. That’s right.
A healthy liver is supposed to be producing 1 1/2 quarts of bile a day- and by adulthood most people’s livers are making as little as 1/2 cup. That might surprise you, and the reason why is even more surprising. Your liver is clogged with gallstones.
No, this is not a natural part of aging, and no, this is not something your body can fix on its own. The good news is, you don’t need surgery or extensive procedures to get them out. You just need a free weekend.
A little known fact is that gallstones actually originate in the liver. I’ll spare you the lengthy explanation about how this happens, but if you are interested, Andreas Moritz can explain it to you here. Cholesterol and bile make the stones lighter and flesh-colored or green, respectively, though stones can also be black (very toxic) or greyish-white (calcified).
The reason that you don’t know you have stones clogging up you liver and gallbladder is because it’s only the calcified ones that show up in ultrasounds. By the time gallstones calcify and show up in an ultrasound, you’ve been suffering with a congested liver for years too long.
Many people go their entire lives with a congested liver and gallbladder, not realizing that many of their health complaints are related to this. These complaints include disorders of the digestive system (mouth, stomach, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, intestines), disorders of the circulatory system (heart, spleen, cholesterol, lymph, veins, hormones), disorders of respiratory system, disorders of the urinary system, disorders of the nervous systems, joint problems, skin problems, reproductive problems, and many more. Congestion of this vital organ affects your whole body, and the longer it goes on, the worse things get. Liver flushes are a wonderful way to start healing these ailments in your body.
A New Age Perspective
In Eastern medicines it is believed that the liver is the seat of anger, frustration, and repressed emotions. A Greek medicine site had this to say:
Liver, Gall Bladder: Bile is produced by the liver and stored in the gall bladder, which makes these two organs vulnerable to negative Choleric emotions like anger, irritability, frustration, resentment, jealousy and envy. These negative Choleric emotions are stored in these organs, and can slowly eat away at them if allowed to fester. Anger and rage can explode upwards from the liver into the head, causing a lot of havoc in their wake: headaches, migraines; red, sore, bloodshot eyes; and muscular tension in the neck and shoulders. Nervous and emotional tension and stress, as well as Melancholic emotions like pensiveness and worry, will stagnate the flow of the Natural Force in the liver, which in turn causes nervous, colicky, Melancholic disturbances of the digestive functions. This excess melancholy often accumulates under the lower ribs, giving a stuffy, distended, congested feeling in the whole chest and diaphragm area. This is the origin of the term hypochondriac.
It is not uncommon for those cleansing the liver to feel an incredible release of these emotions. This is especially true when one experiences a flush of deeper set-in stones which have been stuck in the liver for many years.
Emotional situations or feelings that are brought back up are your opportunity to work through them and move past them, once and for all. This is a time of very powerful emotional cleansing and healing, too.
Feelings of bliss and euphoria are favorite side-effects from stone release of flushers everywhere. This effect becomes more pronounced with every flush, because the first flush releases newer, smaller stones, and with each consecutive flush, the older (which are often also larger and more stuck) ones are rooted out. These correspond to more “stuck” feelings, older issues, and deeper-rooted problems. It feels wonderful to get them out of you!
If all that mumbo jumbo is not for you, you can still focus on the cold, hard facts of the matter. Getting these blockages out of your liver improves the detoxification and functioning of your entire body. The older, larger stones clog up more of the bile ducts than any of the smaller, newer ones. Getting these out makes you feel better because of the surge of energy from better functioning of all your organs overall. It’s a great feeling!
It is important to note that sometimes you will feel initially drained after the flush, with the energy and positivity coming afterwards (it always does come, though!). Your body has really done quite a bit of work through this process, and sometimes it takes a little bit to recover.
Another positive side-effect which cannot be understated is the lessening of pressure from your liver. All these stones really bulk up your liver, making it larger and harder. This can lead to a lack of flexibility in your midsection, pain in your shoulders, back, and spine, and a thicker waist. You will notice all of these problems seem to dissolve away a little more after each flush.
Prepping For The Flush
While I don’t fast prior to the liver flush (you’ll get better results if you do), it is recommended that for the five days prior to the actual flush, you take something to help soften the stones. Andreas (who prefers whole foods) recommends fresh apple juice, which has malic acid, to soften the stones. You will need to have 1 liter (32 oz.) of apple juice per day (space it out throughout the day, don’t just chug it). It is fine to drink packaged apple juice (although for your body’s sake, I would recommend getting a higher quality organic one!) as this will still work. Freshly pressed radish juice and carrot juices are also good.
Other things you can take to soften the stones- powdered malic acid, Gold Coin Grass supplement (you should take this for 2-3 weeks prior, as 5 days will not do as much), daily coffee enemas, and also asorbic acid (vitamin C) capsules (which you should also take for 2-3 weeks prior). If you are really intense, you can take any combination of these methods.
Another important thing to do is COLON CLEANSE both before and after the flush, so that no stones get stuck on their way out of your body, leaving you ill with headaches, bloating, infections, etc. from the toxins in any stones. See how to do this in my first post of the detox series here.
How To Liver Flush
The ingredients you’ll need for the liver flush are-
- Epsom salts
- 1 large grapefruit or 2 small grapefruits (can be substituted with a few lemons or limes)
- Extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil (preferably organic)
AM- Do not eat any fat or protein, if you can help it. It is a good idea to skip caffeine as well, but if you will get a headache without it, it’s okay to have a little. The idea today is to store up the bile in your liver so it will all “flush” out later tonight.
2 PM- Stop eating for the day. Do not eat after 2 PM. If you think of it, mix up your 6 PM drink now.
6 PM- Drink 1 T of Epsom salts dissolved into 1 C water. It’s a good idea to mix this up ahead of time, to make sure it gets dissolved. Having to swallow granules at the bottom is really yucky otherwise! Some people like to put this drink in the fridge because it tastes a little better when it is cold. I always drink it with a straw, I find this easiest.
(The Epsom salts will do two things. First, they will completely flush out the colon, which is good because this will ensure the stones don’t get stuck on their way out. These stones are very toxic and you don’t want them staying inside the colon to re-infect your body at all. Secondly and most importantly, they will dilate the bile ducts, which open them up so that the stones can pop out.)
8 PM- Drink a second dose of the Epsom salt mixture. (1 T ES and 1 C water). If you haven’t already, be prepared to be running to the toilet as the salts begin to flush out your colon!
9:40 PM- Prepare the 10 PM flush concoction. You want 3/4 C of citrus juice (whichever type you ended up choosing) and 3/4 C olive oil. You can squeeze the juice of the fruits by hand into a bowl or measuring cup if you don’t have a juicer. You’ll probably want to mix the ingredients until they are blended together. You can do this by blending them, shaking them in a jar with a lid, or by hand. You CAN keep them separated (oil on top, juice on the bottom) but this will be MUCH less pleasant to drink (I don’t recommend it).
Try to empty your bowel as much as possible before 10, when you will go to bed (so you don’t have to get up again and interfere with the flush).
10 PM (Bedtime)- You should be hungry or thirsty (or both) by now. That is a good sign! I recommend a straw for this concoction especially. Drink the oil/juice concoction standing up, and lie down immediately afterwards. For best results, lie on your right side. Do not move for the first 20 minutes if you can help it. You can read or watch tv or surf the internet for a while, but I recommend going to sleep early. If you MUST get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet, you may. Some people get sick from poor quality oil- if that happens to you, don’t worry, the flush will likely still work for you, depending on how long you were able to keep the concoction down!
8 AM- Have your third Epsom salt drink (1 T ES and 1 C water). You’ll soon start to see stones showing up in your toilet!
10 AM- Have your fourth and final Epsom salt drink (1 T ES and 1 C water). This will flush out the last of the stones!
11 AM- you can start eating again. I recommend light foods and things that won’t be too heavy or hard on your liver today, and for the next couple days. You flushed a lot of bile and bile salts out of the liver, and that takes about 3-4 weeks to fully build up again (although your digestion should feel normal within a day).
A Few Extra Things
Andreas Moritz and other liver flush experts say that it takes around 20 flushes (for some it’s less, and others more) to get out all of the stones completely. The standard test is three consecutive flushes without any stones. Flushers and experts alike say that by this point people experience a cure from allergies and countless other ailments (even ones you didn’t know were related to the liver!). After this point, a maintenance flush once or twice a year is recommended.
Because it takes 3-4 weeks for your body to replenish the bile salts lost in a flush, it is not recommended that you do the flush more often than this. I, myself, flush once every 4-5 weeks.
Some people claim that what you are releasing is not actually liver stones but rather a formation of the oil and citrus juice inside your digestive system, and that the green-ish yellow-ish olive oil is what turns the stones these colors. This claim is false because people have gotten stones out with many other types of oils (although olive oil is recommended because it is high in mono-unsaturated fat and low in saturated fat- this ensures a high emulsification of the oil/acid potion, minimum time in the stomach, and easy absorption in the body) and also from coffee enemas and other types of liver detoxes.
Other Ways I Like To Cleanse The Liver
Castor oil packs- On the nightly regimen of Viva Mayr, the top detox clinic in the world, this deep healing oil, with the addition of heat, penetrates into congested tissue, detoxifying your digestive system, liver, lymph nodes, and pretty much whatever organs you place it over. More info from The Tao of Dana, The Beauty Gypsy, and celeb nutritionist/detox specialist Kimberly Snyder.
Coffee enemas- I wish I could devote an entire post to the coffee enema. As bizarre as it may sound to some of you, it has been one of my favorite and most enjoyable (seriously) forms of detox. In fact, most who try it are hooked like I am. The incredible benefits on the inside and outside are enough to speak for themselves. Read what Dr. Wilson has to say about it.
Try it and let me know how a happy liver works out for you! 🙂
I haven’t done this before, but I’m always reading good articles and blog posts and I felt it was time to recommend a few. My favorite articles are always the ones which make the reader take a step back and consider them for a while. I am always looking for enlightenment, so to speak. The following, in my opinion, offer just that.
Why Courtship Is Fundamentally Flawed This is a good read for anyone, but especially conservatives and parents. Very interesting and fresh perspective on dating that I haven’t heard before.
Why Women Aren’t Crazy “A remark intended to shut you down like, ‘Calm down, you’re overreacting,’ after you just addressed someone else’s bad behavior, is emotional manipulation—pure and simple. And this is the sort of emotional manipulation that feeds an epidemic in our country, an epidemic that defines women as crazy, irrational, overly sensitive, unhinged.”
This article deals with the misconceptions about women in our society, especially by men, and the (relatively unknown) topic of gaslighting.
Why Yoga Pants Are Incredibly Dangerous For Today’s Youth This is my favorite post to date which touches on the subject of modesty, women’s bodies, and dress codes.
Why Wheat Is Ruining Your Life The author of “Wheat Belly” explains in an interview so much about health and food in the most intelligent way, ever.
The White Problem “I don’t think I was born white. I think white children are manufactured.” WOW to this whole article. Wow.
“Not Again” by Arundhati Roy Found this writing per Peer Landa, CCRMA at Stanford University. I have no way to describe the brilliance of her words.
And some videos- How Frozen Should Have Ended (just for fun), What Guys Look For In Girls, We Are Legion- The Story Of The Hacktivists (Documentary)
I do dozens of cleanses. Some I’m obsessed with, some I haven’t been too impressed by. I think I’ve driven my boyfriend crazy by this point, with my herbs and supplements and intermittent fasting. “Date night tonight, babe?” “Nope, sorry, I’m doing a liver flush tonight, which means I can’t eat anything and need to be in bed by 10pm.” Poor guy.
Nonetheless, I felt that it was about time to start spreading the knowledge and sharing my (amazing!) experiences to help you on your path to a happier and healthier life. Today I’m going to talk about colon cleansing (which we all need!).
If we lived in a perfect world, with clean environments, healthy products, and pure food, we wouldn’t have to worry about proper elimination. Our bodies would take care of that themselves. Since this is definitely not the case, however, we do have to worry about it!
Why We Need To Worry About “Toxicity”
A lot of people say that our bodies’ natural detoxifying organs (liver, kidneys, lymphatic system) do a fine job of dealing with toxicity, and that the idea of “cleanses” or “detoxes” are over-hyped. While it’s true that our bodies naturally detoxify themselves on a daily basis, from an evolutionary standpoint, our bodies are not prepared to deal with the toxic load they are dealing with today. For most of history, the toxins that your body is trying to fight off every day did not even exist.
To be fair, the idea that “chemicals are bad” is a very misleading concept. A chemical substance, from a chemistry standpoint, is just a form of matter. You have chemical processes within yourself that are working all the time. Even mother nature is comprised of chemicals. So a lot of people hear that and dismiss chemical “toxins” as a bunch of bologna. This, though, is over-simplifying the issue.
Just because chemicals exist does not mean that they have always existed in the same forms or quantities that they do today. It does not mean that our repeated exposure to them isn’t harmful. On the contrary, we know that it is.
A perfect example of this is geochemist Clair Patterson, who first exposed the dangers of lead toxicity resulting from lead-additives in gasoline, paint, and other household products during the first half of the 20th century. The big companies behind this problem refused to acknowledge his findings, and denied the evidence of lead toxicity, claiming that lead has always existed in the environment and hasn’t proven to be harmful.
It took Patterson a very long time to prove that the levels of lead in our environment due to man’s tampering was, in fact, unnatural, and dangerous for us. This was all in spite of their attempts to make sure that he didn’t show up to trials and couldn’t get his evidence. These companies played dirty.
Sound familiar? This same fight continues today, with other harmful substances. You can’t expect every business to prioritize ethics over profits… human nature would imply otherwise.
All this is to say that your body needs your help. It is being bombarded with things it cannot possibly handle, and your first step in counter-acting that problem starts here: with colon cleansing.
Why Colon Cleansing?
It is said that you are supposed to have a bowel movement after every meal, because there is always something from your food that your body cannot completely assimilate and utilize. Even babies, who drink pure mother’s milk, poop frequently. To think that we, as Americans, can often go DAYS without pooping is horrifying. This is a result of our modern diet and our industrialized world.
Food and waste products that are no longer needed (and toxins that the body needs to eliminate) go through your colon, and are supposed to leave fairly quickly. The longer they sit in there, the more they rot and ferment, creating more toxicity that your body re-uptakes. The longer it stays in there, the worse it gets.
Some effects of a toxic body include skin issues like eczema and acne, hormonal imbalances, irritability and mood swings, irregular sleeping patterns, low energy, concentration issues, depression, poor immune system, and weight problems, to name a few.
The reason colon cleansing is the first step in any detox regimen is because without a clean colon, all your other organs get re-toxified (so to speak) fairly quickly. Conversely, if you have a clean colon, this induces a cleansing affect on the rest of your body. This is a very important step!
The other thing you need to realize is that a clean colon isn’t as simple as pooping regularly. You could have a bowel movement once per day, or more, and still have a very toxic colon. Most sources guess that we have anywhere from 5-15 pounds of waste matter along our colon walls, that, without cleansing, would otherwise accumulate and block up our digestive system for our whole lives.
This waste accumulation happens a number of ways. Medical Insider explains it like this:
Modern diets are often low in natural fiber and also high in mucus producing foods, such as dairy products, white flour, meat (especially processed meats), eggs, potatoes, beans, rice, grains, fish, peanuts and fats (and low in fresh vegetables and fruit), and food, drink and drugs high in toxins, for instance coffee, alcohol, recreational drugs and pharmaceuticals. When we talk about mucus producing foods, we mean that they tend to stimulate the digestive tract to produce more mucus, rather than mucus in the nasal passages.
However, a large number of people have a very mild immune system reaction to certain food proteins that resemble viruses to the immune system, mainly dairy and wheat, which may well cause nasal congestion as well as adverse immune system activity in the digestive tract. This is a separate topic and is discussed on the Food Allergy and Intolerance page.
Such diets lead to more mucin being produced in the gastro-intestinal (GI) tract. The mucus can indeed be cleared away by pancreatic juices (from the pancreas) but mucus-forming foods form such a large proportion of modern, western diets that the pancreatic juices are not effective in clearing it away. As the mucus and food particle solution passes through the intestines, moisture is removed and absorbed back into the blood stream. As more moisture is removed and reabsorbed, the mucus becomes sticky and gluey. In passing, it leaves a coating on the intestinal wall. Layer tends to dry out over time, compacting and hardening. Over the years, layer after layer of gluey faeces builds on the intestinal lining. It gradually forms into a tough, rubbery, black substance (hardened faeces mixture) found in lumps in the corners of the intestinal tract and covering the walls and villi themselves. This is known as ‘mucoid plaque’, and causes constipation, a reduction in the absorption of nutrients through the intestinal wall, and is a breeding ground for candida, harmful bacteria and parasites.
Toxins are absorbed into the mucoid plaque over time, including biotoxins and heavy metals. The liver relies on the colon being clear in order to effectively eliminate toxins from the body through the digestive tract. The build up of mucoid plaque and congestion in the colon (affecting the normal passage of stool) results in the build up of large amounts of toxins in the digestive tract. Harmful micro-organism activity also produces additional toxins. The body tends to produce more mucin to try to wash away the mucoid plaque, which mixes with the mucoid plaque to exacerbate the problem. Low fiber diets slow down the movement of food in the GI tract and do not act to remove mucoid plaque and prevent mucoid plaque formation.
So if you consume any dairy, meat, eggs, GMO corn or grains, caffeine, alcohol, or medications, for example, chances are you have a lot of waste build up, whether you have regular bowel movements or not.
Because all these mucous-y, sticky substances “bake” in your very hot 98.6-degrees body, they harden and get stuck along the walls of your intestines (both large and small). This makes it extremely difficult to remove with regular diet modifications (like just consuming more fiber). It also makes it very difficult for your body to absorb nutrients effectively- if at all.
This requires extra effort to remove, if you want things to start functioning properly again.
How Can I Cleanse My Colon?
There are so many ways you can get cleansing, depending on your budget and what you’re hoping to accomplish. Most commercial laxatives are harsh and toxic, and can not only damage your colon and damage the villi in your small intestine, but create a dependency on them, robbing your body of its natural ability to excrete waste. They dehydrate the body and have no health benefits whatsoever. There are many healthy ways to cleanse and detox the colon, however, and here I have listed many methods, all of which I have personally tried and had positive results from.
- Colonics and enemas- Both of these methods involve using warm water to gently flush away waste inside the colon, as well as to soften and wash away the gunk that is caked up along the colon walls. Colonics are superior to enemas, because they are able to clean the entire colon, whereas enemas use a much smaller volume of water, and therefore clean only the sigmoid colon and not into the transverse or descending colon (see image below). One benefit to enemas is that they can be used anytime at home, whereas colonics have to be administered by a professional, which can get pretty pricey. For colonic-like enemas that reach farther into the colon, you could look into “high enemas” which involve holding onto larger and larger quantities of water. This can be time consuming and uncomfortable, but the results don’t lie. You should only be using filtered water in enemas, boiled first, and cooled to body temperature. This ensures that you are not adding more toxicity to your body with bacteria or amoebas, heavy metals, chlorine, and other gross things found in unfiltered tap water. (Well water is not free of these things either.) I like to add bentonite clay or activated charcoal to the water when I boil it, to further purify it. I am also a huge fan of coffee enemas, which I will discuss later in this series. What to expect: after a colonic you will experience a very flat stomach. Some people have some bloating or fatigue for a couples hours afterwards (it takes a lot out of you- no pun intended.) Days afterwards you should have high energy and a positive outlook and your skin might clear up. After an enema you will experience the same results (minus the bloating) on a lesser scale.
- Salt Water Flushes- This is an old Ayurvedic method of cleansing the colon. It involves taking 2 tsp of pink rock salt (Himalayan salt, Celtic sea salt, or Real Salt) in one quart (4 C) of warm-to-room-temperature water on an empty stomach in the morning. This creates a flushing action, as the salt water has the same gravity as the blood, so the kidneys do not pick up the water and the blood does not pick up the salt. It runs straight through your small and large intestines, cleaning both, making this an extremely effective cleanser. It also replenishes electrolytes to your cells, and helps restore the pH of your body (it is very alkaline). For more really detailed information and instructions, check out this post from Health Beyond Hype. This is an especially cheap and healthy method, which only requires about an hour or two in the morning. (Note: it is extremely important that you do not use regular salt or commercial sea salt for the flush, as these are very toxic and harmful for your body in large quantities.) What to expect: your stools will be watery, but it shouldn’t be very unpleasant. A large portion of the gunk and muck in your bowels will be emptied. I usually experience a burst of energy afterwards, and a much flatter stomach.
- P & B Shakes- This might sound exciting, like a peanut butter milkshake, or at least something delicious. Unfortunately, this stands for psyllium husks and bentonite clay (which is a little bit like flavorless Malt-o-Meal). You use 1-2 tsp of psyllium husk powder and 2 T of colloidal (liquid) bentonite clay into 1-2 C of water. You can also add a couple capsules of activated charcoal in place of the bentonite clay, for the same effects. The psyllium husk bulks up in the water fairly quickly, so it needs to be stirred or shaken vigorously to ensure that it doesn’t get lumpy (this is where the name comes from). P & b shakes are the best known way to clear out mucoid plaque (the hardened, rubbery gunk on the colon walls) from your body. Often water-flushing methods like enemas, colonics, and salt water are rendered ineffective at getting some of the older, tougher stuff unstuck- especially in the small intestine (enemas and colonics never reach the small intestine). Psyllium works by bulking up in your intestines, both loosening the plaque and also attaching it to itself, and bentonite clay works by soaking up all the toxins and muck that comes along with it. It is recommended that you drink a lot of water with p & b shakes, so that they don’t constipate you and further the problem. Once your body gets used to one p & b shake a day, you can slowly add another and work your way up to three or four a day for maximum effects. Don’t take them within two hours of any medication or nutritional supplement, as both the “p” and the “b” can absorb them, rendering them ineffective. For more information, see p & b shakes at curezone.com What to expect: there will be more fluffy bulk to your bowel movements, making them much more comfortable to pass than some of these liquidy-options. You will soon start to see black, rubbery ropes attached to these bm’s. This is mucoid plaque. It’s always extremely gratifying to see them come out of your body! It’s amazing how much can be up there. This method also helps your body regulate its own bowel movements, as you are giving it quite a bit of fiber every day. Expect to become very regular!
- Epsom salts- This action works the same as the salt water flush, for similar reasons. To flush with Epsom salts, you would add 2 tsp to 1 C of water and take it in the morning on an empty stomach. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, and so will replenish your body of magnesium- something most of us are deficient in without regular supplementation. This is another cheap option and readily available, as you can find Epsom salts just about anywhere. The Viva Mayr detox clinic (a celebrity and royalty favorite) is known to use these as a daily requirement, first thing in the morning. What to expect: this will be exactly like the salt water flush- your stools will be watery. The cleaner your system is, the faster it will get through. I had a friend come to me recently saying “You should have warned me!” So for some cleansing newbies, recognize that it will keep you near the toilet for a while. After the first few times, though, it will go quicker and not take as long to clean yourself out, so stick with it! Your stomach will always be nice and flat afterwards.
- Magnesium citrate- This is a much gentler version of the Epsom salt flush, and tastes a whole lot better, too. I like to use Natural Calm in the raspberry-lemonade flavor. While I like to also use this drink to de-stress during the day or to wind down for bedtime, it does have a mild laxative effect, which can be maximized on an empty stomach in the morning. What to expect: like I said, it’s a much gentler version of the Epsom salts in every way. It will be slightly less watery, slightly less flushing action, still the same gunk cleared out (although a little less might be cleared out).
- Mag07- This supplement works by oxidizing the colon both in the small and large intestines (while also not harming any of the beneficial bacteria), restoring the pH of your body and liquifying the contents of the colon. Mag07 claims to be able to liquify mucoid plaque as well, although no one is able to confirm this, as the contents are broken down and we can’t tell the difference, although many experts swear by it. Many people use Mag07 supplementation as an alternative to colonics for entire-colon cleansing. I would recommend Aerobic Life or Detoxy. It is recommended that you take Mag07 on an empty stomach before bed. For an ultra-cleansing effect, I use it at night and in the morning for a week at a time. What to expect: this does liquify the contents of your bowels, so your bm’s won’t be completely formed. Everyone’s body is different, so the dosage will affect this as well. To have a more comfortable bm if 2-3 pills aren’t working, up your water intake instead of your dosage. I haven’t noticed a flat stomach the way I have with some of these other methods, although that is secondary to the detoxification it gives you, and a lot of others do claim to have these benefits as well.
Many people claim it is harmful to cleanse the colon because you can become dependent on it (which generally isn’t true if you use these methods, but you should always give your body a break from cleansing to let it re-set) and because you can wipe out beneficial bacteria- a problem easily solved with probiotic supplementation. Certain types of minerals can be depleted depending on the type and frequency of the cleansing method you are using (especially the colonics and enemas), so if you are doing this a couple times a week, try to supplement those.
*(Enemas and magnesium citrate are generally safe for pregnancy. Mag07 is said to be as well, but I’d consult your doctor for that or anything else on the list.)
Benefits I’ve noticed- Clearer, brighter skin would be a major, major difference here. Less dark circles under my eyes, less bloating, an increase in positive thinking and elevated moods, more energy, and a great immune system. Oh, and when I am not cleansing, I have normal bm’s, at least once a day!
Have you personally tried out any of these methods? Do you plan on trying it after reading this post? Comment below and tell me all about it!